Primal lifestyle doesn’t have to be bland – add some spice to your dinner with this authentic Mexican dish. Tomatillos and Serrano peppers are not always easy to find but with some leg work you should be able to discover them at your local Mexican neighborhood. And unless you are dairy intolerant, do not skip on the cream, as it adds a definite edge to this dish and perfectly balances the spiciness of the Serrano peppers.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- 2-3 organic chicken breasts
- 1 white onion
- 1 garlic head, halved crosswise
- 2 lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 7 serrano chilies
- 9 gluten free tortillas (I used sundried tomato tortillas)
- 1 cup heavy sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Olive oil
- To make Tomatillo sauce, in a saucepan, combine the tomatillos and chilies with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender about 10-15 min.
- While waiting for tomatillos to boil, place chicken in a saucepan along with 1/4 of the onion, 1/2 garlic head (don't peel the skin of the head) and 1 Tbs of salt and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 min.
- Let cool and lift out the chicken. Shred the meat with your fingers.
- Drain and place tomatillos, peppers and 3 chopped garlic cloves into blender. If you have a small blender, blend in batches. Process until a smooth sauce forms.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the tomatillo sauce and fry stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce starts to thicken, about 5 min more. Add 1 Tbs of salt, taste and add more salt if required.
- In another fry pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until sizzling hot. Using tongs, quickly pass each tortilla through the oil to soften. You can leave on one side for 10 sec and then flip.
- Afterwards, dip the tortilla in the warm tomatillo sauce. Place in a baking dish. Put a large spoonful of shredded chicken in the centre of the tortilla, fold the tortilla in half. Once all tortillas are laid in the dish, cover with the remaining sauce. Bake for 10 min.
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and top with crema or source cream, onion slices and crumbled cheese.
Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On PinterestPaleontastic
21 day sugar detox almond flour avocado banana banana pancakes beef butternut squash cabbage carrot cauliflower cauliflower rice caulliflower puree cheese cheese cake chicken coconut oil cookies cottage cheese fennel pollen ginger gluten free gluten free tortillas ground beef ice cream Indian mexican paleo dessert paleo muffins paleo pancakes paleo pizza paleo snacks pancakes peppers pie crust pizza pork primal cupcakes primal recipes pumpkin salad shrimp soup sweet potato tomato sauce vegetables