Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto is an excellent paleo alternative to the traditional mushroom risotto. Cauliflower mimics rice very well in paleo recipes (paleo pizza crust, paleo mushed potatoes, paleo rice, paleo sheppards pie). In paleo risotto it does excellent job blending the flavors of mushrooms, broth and wine, and results in creamy and rich consistency very similar to classic risotto.
Cauliflower & Mushroom Risotto
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3-4 handfuls of mushrooms mixed varieties (shiitake, white, oyster, etc.), coarsely chopped
- 4 cups mushroom (chicken or vegetable) broth, hot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine or dry apple cicder
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped chervil, tarragon or parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut cauliflower into florets of about the same size. Place in food processor and pulse until cauliflower is about twice the size of a grain of rice. Measure 4 cups for risotto.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for another 5 min or so. Pour in wine/cider and simmer until wine is nearly absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup stock and simmer until nearly absorbed. Add salt and pepper and remove mushrooms into a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp butter, add 1 cup broth and cauliflower and simmer until stock and cauliflower juices are nearly absorbed by the cauliflower rice. Add another cup of stock and the remaining wine/cider. Cook, stirring until absorbed, about 6 minutes. Add remaining stock and cook until liquid is absorbed and risotto is creamy, adding extra stock if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add reserved mushrooms. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and herbs.
- Garnish with chervil, tarragon or parsley. Serve as a main or side dish.
Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On PinterestPaleontastic
21 day sugar detox almond flour avocado banana banana pancakes beef butternut squash cabbage carrot cauliflower cauliflower rice caulliflower puree cheese cheese cake chicken coconut oil cookies cottage cheese fennel pollen ginger gluten free gluten free tortillas ground beef ice cream Indian mexican paleo dessert paleo muffins paleo pancakes paleo pizza paleo snacks pancakes peppers pie crust pizza pork primal cupcakes primal recipes pumpkin salad shrimp soup sweet potato tomato sauce vegetables